Luftwaffe, had to make do without JG 300 and JG 301 as they faced

their own challenges. It did not mean these units were spared of heavy losses though. In January 1945 the losses mounted, for example on

January 14 JG 300 lost half of its combat aircraft. The total losses of

JG 300 and JG 301 on that day were 57 aircraft and 32 pilots killed.

Final countdown

To top it off, the Soviet offensive began at the same time, on January

12, with the Vistula-Oder operation, during which Soviet forces advanced quickly through Silesia, on the right banks of the Oder. By the

January 27, the Oder was crossed at Küstrin (today Kostrzyn, Poland),

and a bridge was established to the left bank. In an effort to halt the

Soviet advance, elements of JG 300 and JG 301 were committed to

the area, engaging ground attack aircraft and fighters of the VVS from

the end of January and into February. They performed ground attack

missions against the Soviet units, a mission much different from the

one Wilde Sau units were originally formed for. In March, heavy losses

caused the disbandment of I. Gruppe JG 300, which at the time was

down to fifteen combat-capable aircraft.

Some pilots of the unit were invited by the founder of Wilde Sau, Hajo

Herrmann, to join Sonderkommando Elbe, that was developing taran

tactics that were nothing short of suicide, involving the ramming of

incoming heavy bombers. The only operation Sonderkommando Elbe

conducted took place on April 7, 1945. It also yielded an insignificant

success - 3rd Air Division of the 8th AF lost 9 bombers. Herrmann´s

task force sent to combat 213 fighters, 45 of them were shot down,

24 killed, 8 remained missing and 13 survived with injuries.

A portion of the pilots were converted onto the jet powered Me 262

Schwalbe and were later integrated into units flying the type, such as

JG 7. The rest of the pilots and aircraft were integrated into III. and

IV./JG 300, that were transferred to the Western Front in the area

of southern Germany and from where they were gradually retreating

eastwards. By the beginning of May, they found themselves on their

former home field of Reichenhall-Berchtesgaden in Ainring, on the

German side of the German-Austrian border, some three kilometers

west of Salzburg. Here, they received an order on May 3 to form

an operational unit designated Jagdgruppe 300 Ainring, and to move

through České Budějovice (Budweis) to Prague. At least a section of

Jagdgruppe 300 managed to reach Prague immediately prior to the

Prague Uprising, and with that, somewhat paradoxically, went from

the relative safe of Ainring and the American area of operations to

the extremely dangerous trap of the insurgent Prague and the Soviet

sphere of influence. Some of the pilots attempted to evade capture

by the Soviets by fleeing to the west, but a large number perished in

the trap. Mass of aircraft wrecks of Jagdgruppe 300 have been documented in photographs obtained after the end of the war scattered

around Prague airfields. Photographs taken around the same time on

west German airfields show wrecks of JG 301 aircraft.

The last JGr. 300 base was the new airport in Žatec (Saatz) west

of Prague where all remaining combat-ready aircraft flew over on

May 7. Me 262A from JG 7 took off from Žatec for an ground attack on

the Soviet columns advancing from Dresden to Most (Brüx). The last

kill and apparently the very last JGr. 300, respectively JG 300, sortie

out of Žatec is attributed to Uffz. Eugen Mayer. On May 8 at 10am he

was scrambled against the solitary Soviet Pe-2 bomber which he duly

shot down in the vicinity of Žatec airport. In the early afternoon the

remaining aircraft were destroyed and pilots and ground personnel

set on the march to Cheb where the unit‘s torso surrendered to the



CALDWELL D.: Luftwaffe Over Germany: Defense of the Reich

CALDWELL D.: Day Fighters in Defence of the Reich: A War Diary, 1942–45

LORANT J.-Y., GOYAT R.: Jagdgeschwader 300 Wilde Sau, A Chronicle of

a Fighter Geschwader in the Battle for Germany, Vol 1 & 2


Archiv Muzea letecké bitvy nad Krušnohořím 11. 9.1944 v Kovářské

Photo taken after the war at Bad Aibling airfield in Bavaria. The Fw 190A-8 „White 5“ probably belonged to 7./JG 300. On the right is

a Bf 110G-4 (W.Nr. 180 837), the „2Z+NU“ of 10./NJG 6. The Fw 190A-8 with light blue paint carries the Stammkennzeichen VS+BX and

the fuselage designation „yellow 10“. Photo: Fold3

INFO Eduard - July 2021