B-25J-10-NC, 43-35982, 428th BS, 310th BG, 12th AF, Ghisonaccia, Corsica, France, April 1945
The 310th Bombardment Group was activated in March 1942 and designated as a medium bomber Group consisting of four squadrons. Delivered in June 1944, the 43-35982 ship nicknamed “Angel of Mercy” was flying with the 428th bomb squadron. She was one of 15 aircraft of
the unit to fly the mission to the Rovereto on April 19, 1945. She was hit by shell fragments from AA fire and badly damaged prior to the bomb
dropping. Pilot-in-command, 1/Lt. W. S. McMillan managed to keep the ship on course with help of his co-pilot W. D. McLean, enabling the
bombardier to drop the bombs on the target, the railroad bridge. The hits knocked out the hydraulic system and main gear, rear gunner A. S.
Hatfield was wounded. The crew decided not to risk the overseas flight to the home base at Corsica and opted for another base of the 310th BG
at Fano, Italy, where they managed to land the ship with only nose landing gear open. The “Angel of Mercy” ship was left in natural metal finish,
so it had the horizontal band on the vertical tail surfaces separated by black bands. The colors for 310th BG as well as for the 428th BS were
yellow. The propeller spinner and the front of the engine covers were of the same color. The nose art of the nurse with a bomb under her arm
was not accompanied by mission symbols on this aircraft.
B-25J-1-NC, 43-27716, 445th BS, 321st BG 12th AF, Solenzara, Corsica, France, April 1945
Constituted as 321st Bombardment Group (Medium) on June 19, 1942 and activated on June 26, the crews of the unit prepared for overseas duty
with B-25s. The 43-27716 ship got rather amusing nickname “Shit house mouse” and had the missions marked by black mice. On the engine
cowl there was an inscription “Quaketown” (the town in Pennsylvania). The pilot of the ship and the Airplane Commander was 1/Lt. R. S. Elmer
from December 1, 1944, to March 29, 1945. On the March 30 Elmer overhanded her to 1/Lt. R. G. Rice, who brought “Shit house mouse” to the end
of the war. Until its 73rd mission the aircraft had only the Roman numeral I on the tail, after then Latin number 7 was added on the vertical fin
on December 14, 1944. The ship sported Olive Drab color over the upper and side surfaces, as was a common practice. Other surfaces were left
in natural metal finish. The outhouse was of brown color.
INFO Eduard - September 2021