AR502, W/Cdr Karel Mrázek,CO of Exeter (Czechoslovak) Wing, Great Britain, July–October 1942
Second Mrázek’s “Wing Commander” Spitfire is, thanks to the survived film archive, fairly well documented. He flew his new Spitfire Mk.Vc s/n AR502 from the end of July till October 1942. On August 28, at its controls he achieved his last combat success when, in the cooperation with S/Ldr František Doležal, No. 310 Squadron commander, he shot down a Bf 109F-4 from the 1.(F)124 reconnaissance unit. Same as his predecessor, this personal aircraft carried the pilot’s initials, “KM” painted on both sides of the fuselage, between the fuselage cockade and Sky S fuselage band sprayed in front of the tails surfaces. The letters “KM” were also painted in yellow on the lower part of the engine cowling.
EE626, W/Cdr Karel Mrázek, CO of Exeter (Czechoslovak) Wing, Great Britain, October 1942–January 1943
In October “Charlie” Mrázek was assigned a new “C“ model serial number EE626 with which he flew 16 combat missions. Also In this case, thanks to the film archive, the appearance of this aircraft can be fairly well documented. Besides the standard camouflage of Dark Green/Ocean Grey/Medium Sea Grey the code letters “KM” were this time painted in Sky on both sides of the fuselage in front of the fuselage cockade and in the smaller size on the lower part of the engine cowling. Under the windshield, on the port side, a Wing Commander pennant was painted as a new marking. Unlike all Mrazek’s previous Spitfires, this aircraft featured de Havilland propeller with the short spinner. EE626 flew with No. 310 Squadron until February 3, 1943, when it was rammed be a No. 307 Squadron’s Mosquito. It was repaired at the Air Service Training and the repair included the wind modification consisting of removing the wingtips and thus shortening the wingspan to 9.93 meters. A circular rear mirror was installed as well. During the months of October and November 1943, such modified EE626 flew as a personal mount of Mrázek’s deputy, W/Cdr František Doležal who had it marked by his initials “FD”. EE626 remained in the No. 310 Squadron inventory until December 24, 1943, when it was handed over to the Polish No. 316 Squadron. The service with No. 63 and No. 587 Squadrons followed and on August 14, 1945, the aircraft was officially struck off charge.
EE626, W/Cdr František Doležal, CO of Ibsley (Czechoslovak) Wing, Great Britain, October–November 1943
The first pilot of EE626 was W/Cdr Karel Mrázek, commander of the Exeter (Czechoslovak) Wing who flew it from October to November 1943. On February 3, 1943, in Exeter, the aircraft was rammed by a Mosquito from the No. 307 Squadron. The airplane was repaired by the Air Service Training and the job included the wing modification consisting of removing the wingtips and thus shortening the wingspan to 9.93 meters. A circular rear mirror was also installed. During the months of October and November 1943, such modified EE626 flew as a personal mount of Mrázek’s deputy, W/Cdr František Doležal who had it marked with his initials “FD” painted in Sky color on both sides of the fuselage in front of the fuselage cockade and in smaller size in black on the lower part of the engine cowling. Under the “FD” fuselage code letters the original Mrázek’s initials “KM” can still be recognized having been repainted in Dark Green. Under the windshield, on both sides, a Czechoslovak national insignia and a Wing Commander pennant, moved to the fuel tank access panel, were painted. The port engine cowling shows a fresh repaint on the entire surface, most likely in Ocean Grey.