rals were not identical, and their appearance slightly differed among the aviation units.
From the beginning of 1950s the more standardized shapes appeared sprayed through
the stencils with typical dividing “bridges”
in the letter and number bodies (these lines could be however painted over, and the
codes had more streamlined appearance).
The serial numbers applied to S-199 were
painted on the vertical tail surface only
(on both sides always between the leading
edge and the national insignia), sprayed
through the stencil in black color and format such as S199-180. Based on the serial
length it could be positioned higher above
or lower below the stabilizer upper surface.
To distinguish the aircraft among the various divisions the order MNO-VL c. j. 157
Taj. let. 1946 established the propeller spinners color coding (see further) which was
basically complied with until 1951 when
due to the arrival of the jet aircraft in the
Czechoslovak Air Force, it lost its purpose.
Nevertheless, the S-199s which continued
to fly retained in many cases the color of
their spinners even if they were transferred to another unit. The colors applied on
the S-199 spinners were as follows: 2nd
Air Division blue, 3rd AD white and 4th AD
black. Some aircraft assigned to the Air
Military Academy sported white-blue spinners (with vertical color division in front
of the propeller blades), other aircraft, not
only from the Academy had their spinners
later overpainted with the camouflage color
or RLM 02 primer.
At this point we conclude our small excursion into the Czechoslovak S-199 “color
mysteries” dedicated not only to modelers.
This topic doesn’t seem to be finished and
closed though since the further research
can bring interesting new information to the
light. In that case we believe there will be
a chance to get back to the topic here, on
the INFO Eduard pages.
The picture of the former reconnaissance S-199.310, UL-51, from the 5th Aviation Training Squadron. On August 26, 1952, Corporal Josef Mucha was unable to take off with it from
Zvolen airfield due to the collapsed landing gear. The aircraft carried yellow identification stripes on the rear fuselage and upper wing surfaces. The black markings on the fuselage
were sprayed through a stencil and the thin division lines in both the letters and numbers were overpainted.
The code letters JV initially identified the 2nd flight of the 1st Aviation Squadron
(4th Air Division) based at Zvolen airfield, also known as “Three Oaks”. The black
fuselage marking, hand painted into previously outlined lettering, is captured in the
photograph. Letter V is taller than letter J. Pilot in the picture is Lt. František Fořt.
A great example of the fuselage markings painted precisely according to the Attachment No. 2 to the
Application and Maintenance of the Marking, order of MNO-VL c. j. 157 Taj. Let. 1946: UF-55 was painted
white on the dark base. The aircraft in the photograph, S-199 serial number 543, belonged to the 4th Air
Training Squadron and was struck off charge after the crash landing at Prostějov airfield on May 26, 1953.