WNr. 785185, Lt. Heinz Schüler, 16./JG 5, Stavanger-Forus, Norway, March 1945
In November 1944 in Stavanger 16. Staffel Jagdgeschwader 5 was established in order to boost the IV. Gruppe inventory to four Staffels. The
IV./JG 5 equipment was unified to Bf 109G-14 even
though couple of Fw 190 continued flying with
the unit till the end of 1944. Bf 109G-14/AS marked
blue 17 was flown by Lt. Heinz Schüler who painted
Berlin’s coat of arms under the windshield. It is apparent in the photographs that at that time the aircraft did not carry the Defense of the Reich markings,
however when Lt. Schüler landed it on March 27,
1945 at Stavanger-Sola airport it sported black and
yellow bands (JG 5 aircraft marking) behind the
fuselage national insignia.
WNr. 785083, Sgt. Magg. Aroldo Burei, 1a Squadriglia, 1o Gruppo,
Caccia ANR, Malpensa, Italy, April 1945
After declaration of the Italian Social Republic on
September 18th, 1943, a puppet state on the German
armed forces occupied territory, and under the leadership of Benito Mussolini, Germany allowed this
state to form the army in the strength of four divisions. Its aviation component, named Aeronautica
Nazionale Repubblicana, consisted of two fighter
groups (Gruppo Caccia), a group of torpedo bombers (Gruppo Aerosiluranti Buscaglia) and several
transport flights. 1o Gruppo Caccia (Asso di Bastoni)
initially flew Macchi C.205 but from November 1944
till February 1945 went through the transition training on Messerschmitt 109 in Holzkirchen, Germany.
In February the unit received Messerschmitts 109
of the versions G-10 (manufactured by Erla factory in Leipzig), G-14 and G-14/AS and several K-4s.
The original German markings were oversprayed
in Italian colors and the aircraft received the Italian markings. The German iron crosses were left on
the wing underside surfaces.