Markings for B-26F/G 1/72
42-96255, B-26F-1, 586th BS/394th BG, Thomas C. Howard, Holmsley South, Great Britain, August 1944
The 394th Bomb Group was formed on February 15, 1943 and activated on March 5. From the beginning, its crews trained for combat deployments in Europe with Marauders. In February and March 1944, the group moved to England to Boreham Base and was assigned to the 9th Air Force. By March, its Marauders were flying attacks on ground targets in France, with frequent targets being V-1 missile bases, marshalling yards, and bridges. When D-Day came, the 394th BG bombed German positions at Cherbourg and other targets. After moving to the Continent in late August 1944, the group began operating against targets in Germany and participated in the Battle of the Bulge. After the surrender of Germany, it remained in Europe as part of the Occupation Forces. In September it began training with the A-26s and in December 1945 was redesignated the 394th Bomb Group (Light). Upon return to the United States, the group was inactivated on March 31, 1946. The pilot of the aircraft with the drawing of an Indian fox and the name Miss Manookie was Lt. Thomas Craddock Howard, co-pilot David Hollice Hughes. The artist of the painting on the nose was S/Sgt. Frank M. Spangler Jr. a professional cartoonist in civilian life, who decorated a number of other aircraft of the group with his hilarious paintings and made a living as an artist after the war. Miss Manookie flew a total of 60 combat missions during the war.
43-34150, B-26G-1, 2/Lt. Eulan W. Covey, 494th BS/344th BG, Cormeilles-en-Vexin, France, late 1944
After the 344th Bomb Group was established on August 31, 1942, it was activated on September 8, 1942. From the beginning, it flew B-26s and served as a Replacement Training Unit. It then moved to England during January and February 1944 and began operations as part of the 9th Air Force in March. During the landings, it supported the operation that led to the capture of the Cotentin Peninsula and subsequent Allied operations in the Caen area. It then participated in the Battle of Bulge and continued to operate until April 1945. In September of that year, it moved to Germany as part of the occupation forces and began rearmament to A-26. In December it was redesignated the 344th Bomb Group (Light) and was inactivated on February 15, 1946, after moving to the United States. The aircraft, named Gravel Gerty, sported the inscription Concrete Mixer on the left engine cowling, which related to the name of the aircraft. We don't know if it was painted also on the right engine, but the decal is included in the sheet for that position as well.
43-34220, B-26G-5, Capt. Charles G. Fraser, 587th BS/394th BG, Bricy, France, August 1944
The 394th Bomb Group was established on February 15, 1943 and activated on March 5. From the beginning, its crews flew B-26s with which they trained for combat deployments in Europe. In February and March 1944, the group moved to England to Boreham Base and was assigned to the 9th Air Force. By March, its Marauders were flying attacks in France, with frequent targets being V-1 missile bases, marshalling yards and bridges. When the D-Day came, the 394th BG bombed German positions at Cherbourg and other targets. After moving to the Continent in late August 1944, the group began operating against targets in Germany and participated in the Battle of the Bulge. After the surrender of Germany, it stayed in Europe as part of the occupation forces. In September it began training on the A-26s and in December 1945 was redesignated the 394th Bomb Group (Light). Upon return to the United States, the group was inactivated on March 31, 1946. The pilot of the aircraft named I'll Get By, which was assigned to the unit on August 7, 1944, was Capt. Charles G. Fraser, co-pilot 2Lt Thomas Leask. The drawing of the girl unbuttoning her swimsuit top was based on an original by Albert Vargas.
43-34240, B-26G-5, Lt. Wilbert L Weir, 444th BS/320th BG, Decimomannu, Sardinia, August 1944
The activation of the 320th Bomb Group occurred on June 23, 1942, with most of the group moving through England to North Africa after training during August–December 1942. As part of the 12th Air Force, the group began combat operations from bases in Algeria, Tunisia, Sardinia, and Corsica. Gradually, crews attacked enemy vessels in the approaches to Tunisia, land targets in Sardinia, and supported the invasion of Sicily. This was followed by raids on targets in Italy and, from June 1944, support for the invasion of southern France. In June 1945 the group moved to Germany and returned to the United States during November. It was inactivated as early as December 4 of that year. The aircraft, named Pancho and his Reever Rats, did not see the end of the war unfortunately. On August 23, 1944, it was hit by German anti-aircraft fire during a raid near Covigliano and exploded in mid-air. According to some sources, the entire crew of Lt. Wilbert L. Weir was killed, others state that the rear gunner, S/Sgt. Albert A. Giuffre, was rescued and even returned to duty.
43-34462, B-26G-5, Lt. David A. Mickelson, 444th BS/320th BG, France, 1944–45
The 444th Bomb Squadron was formed in mid-1942 and armed with Marauders. It trained for combat as part of the 3rd Air Force in Florida and was deployed to England as part of the 320th Bomb Group and 3rd Bomb Wing. After the commencement of Operation Torch, it participated on operations in North Africa as part of the 12th Air Force, flying tactical bombing missions against Axis forces there until May 1943. It then shifted its attention to targets in Sicily, Corsica, Sardinia, and Italy. It then supported the Allied advance into Germany and was inactivated in December 1945. The aircraft shown here had its fuselage guns removed and while the left side of the nose bore a drawing of a girl and the inscription Margie, the right side sported the name Donna Deloris.
43-34213, B-26G-1, Capt. John C. Furnas of the 585th BS, 394th BG, Venlo, The Netherlands, May 1945
The 585th Bomb Squadron was activated at MacDill Field, Florida, as one of four squadrons of the 394th Bomb Group. It moved to England in mid-February 1944, making its home base at Boreham. Its pilots flew their first combat mission on March 23, 1943. They then attacked V-1 flying bomb launchers and V-2 rocket bases as part of Operation Crosbow. During D-Day, the 585th BS targeted enemy sites at Cherbourg, then attacked transport lines or fuel depots. By July 24, 1944, the unit was stationed at Holmsley South and by August it had moved to its first mainland base, Tour-en-Bessin, France. In addition to the classic missions towards the end of the war, the Marauders of the 585th BG dropped propaganda leaflets over the occupied territory on 16 missions. The aircraft of Capt. John C. Furnas was named The Old Goat, and the nose art corresponded to the name. It bore the symbols of ninety combat missions under the cockpit towards the end of the war.
43-34316, B-26G-5, 496th BS/344th BG, Cormeilles-en-Vexin, France, September 1944
The 496th Bomb Squadron was activated in late 1942 as a training unit of III Bomber Command. It was converted to operational status late in the year and deployed to Europe as part of IX Bomber Command in February 1944. After the war it remained as part of the Occupation Forces in Europe and was inactivated on February 15, 1946. Named Cleveland Calliope II, the aircraft carried “Broken Line” camouflage, consisting of Olive Drab paint on the upper surfaces and upper fuselage, the rest of the aircraft was left in natural metal finish.
44-68171, B-26G-25, GB 1/22 Maroc, Riedlingen, Germany, May 1945
The Free French Air Force acquired its first Marauders in late 1943 and eventually units GB I/11 Maroc, GB II/20 Bretagne, GB I/19 Gascogne, GB II/52 Franche-Comte, GB II/63 Senegal and BG I/32 Bourgogne acquired these aircraft. Initially, the French received the older, war-weary machines for training purposes, after which newer ones were supplied. Initial operations by French B-26s targeted enemy positions in Italy and southern France. They took part in the invasion of France on August 15, 1944 and then gradually moved north with the advance of the Allies. They completed their last mission on April 25, 1945 and were inactivated in June. The aircraft shown here completed 55 bombing missions, according to the symbols under the cockpit.