5./SG 77, Cottbus, Germany, early March 1945
This aircraft was photographed at Cottbus
airport in early 1945. It bore a standard camouflage scheme consisting of the
RLM 74 and 75 colors on the upper surfaces. The lower surfaces were sprayed in
RLM 76, which was complemented on the fuselage bottom by a green-blue shade of
the RLM 76. The black horizontal stripe indicates the aircraft belonged to 5.
Staffel SG 77. The significance of the red flash on the engine cowling is
SG 2, Huingary, Winter 1944/1945
The standard camouflage of this aircraft of RLM 74 and 75 colors was covered with irregular white patches on the upper and side surfaces. The yellow band around the fuselage was complemented by yellow stripes forming a V on the wing. This marking was introduced by Fliegerkorps IV after Romania had crossed over to the other side of the conflict and it was necessary to visually distinguish its own German aircraft from the same types of Romanian aircraft, which became enemies.
1./SG 4, Piacenza, Italy 1944
During the time Schlachtgeschwader 4 operated in Italy, where the unit was part of efforts to slow down advancing Allied forces, its Fw 190F-8s sported an interesting appearance. The upper surfaces were painted over with sandy brown color complemented with irregular olive spots. This modification was done hastily in field conditions and led to partial respray of the insignia. Also, the white stripe on the upper side of the fuselage which indicated the unit operating in the Mediterranean theatre was resprayed. The aircraft belonged to the I. Gruppe and sported unit´s emblem on the nose. The propeller cone was probably black, complemented with a white spiral.
WNr. 584592, SG 2 or SG 10, Neubiberg,
Germany, May 1945
The yellow 14, belonging to II. Gruppe SG 2 or SG 10 and left behind by Luftwaffe personnel at the end of the war at Neubiberg, represents the Fw 190F-8 of the last production series. The upper surfaces were painted in RLM 75/76/81/83, while the lower surfaces were partly sprayed in RLM 76. Similar to the Fw 190D-9s produced at the end of the war, part of the lower wing surfaces were left in bare metal for example, while the flaps, ailerons and fuselage bottom were sprayed with RLM 76. The bottom of the elevator appears dark in the photo, but this is down to the different angle of its surface to the light source. A yellow band was sprayed around the nose, indicating attack aircraft of the Luftwaffe at the time.
SG 10, České Budějovice, Protectorate of
Bohemia and Moravia, May 1945
One of the aircraft left by Stab SG 10 and some of its Gruppe at the airfield in České Budějovice was the Fw 190F-8 marked with a yellow letter K. It sported signs of camouflage modifications of some SG 10 aircraft at the end of the war. The entire upper surfaces were brushed over with dark green RLM 83 or a very similar color. As it was made in field conditions the green color interfered irregularly with the lower surfaces. The insignia on the upper side of the wing and on the fuselage partially perished under the new paint. Shortly afterwards the yellow K got a replacement tail surfaces in the standard grey-gray camouflage from a destroyed Fw 190. This was the reason for the mismatch in the style of the applied crosses and swastikas. By May 1945, the brush-painted green color was considerably worn. The identifying yellow Jabo stripe wrapped around the engine cowling. Inconsistent interpretation of the regulation on the application of this stripe led to different widths of the stripe and also to different positions of its application. For this scheme, the yellow stripe appearance was reconstructed according to the most common occurrence within SG 10. It is worth noting the removal of the lower main landing gear wheel covers, which was intended to prevent operational difficulties on muddy airfields. The aircraft carried ETC 50 hangers for four 50 kg bombs under the wings.