Mk.IVa KH680 (P-51K-1-NT; 44-11383), P/O John Mallandaine, No. 442 Sqn RCAF, Hunsdon, England, April 1945
The “Edmonton Special“ Mustang Mk.IVa, the personal mount of Edmonton-born John Mallandaine, is one of the most popular Mustang
Mk.IVs. Its pilot flew it on daylight missions to Germany, protecting allied bombers. He also participated in the last operational mission of the
war in the European theatre, the liberation of the Channel Islands on May 9, 1945. Post war Mallandaine continued flying as a bush pilot and
he also acted as an air accident investigator. He was part of the board investigating the Martin Hartwell´s crash and his subsequent cannibalism to survive. Apart of standard camouflage scheme of US colours the Mallandaine´s Mustang sported the yellow anti-glare panel and
canopy framing, the code in Sky colour was also outlined in yellow. The “Edmonton Special“ inscription was painted on the port side only.
Mk.IVa KM232 (P-51K-10-NT; 44-12355), W/Cdr James E. Storrar, Hunsdon Wing CO, Digby, England, April 1945
The aircraft of W/Cdr J. E. Storrar were quite easily recognizable thanks to the personal JAS code, as the fighter ace with 14 aerial victories
was nicknamed. Storrar entered the RAF in 1938 and joined No. 145 Sqn in early 1940. He scored his first victories over Dunkirk and during
the Battle of France, earning the DFC at the age of 19. He was transferred to No. 73 Sqn in September, 1940 and promoted Squadron Leader
of No. 65 Sqn in December, 1942. In 1944 Storrar became Wing Commander and led three squadrons equipped with Mustangs. All of them
were responsible for long range and attack escorts. After the War he continued his RAF career, flying the Meteor and Vampire jets. After
retirement in 1957 he became a veterinary surgeon with a practice in Chester. Mustang KM232 had natural metal and silver paint finish with
mid blue anti-glaze panel with dark blue outline. The JAS code was of the same colour combination.
Mk.IV KH655 (P-51D-5-NT; 44-11182), F/O Edward R. Davies, No. 19 Sqn, Peterhead, England, April 1945
No. 19 Squadron was formed on September 1, 1915, disbanded in 1919 and reformed just four years later. At the outbreak of the WWII the
squadron was stationed at RAF Duxford as a part of No. 12 Group of RAF Fighter Command. Pilots of the unit, one of them was also famous
Douglas Bader, helped to provide air cover over the Dunkirk beaches. The No. 19 Sqn was one of few to receive Mk.Ib Spitfires armed with
the 20mm cannons and after years flying Spitfires of several marks the unit was re-equipped with Mustangs Mk.III in early 1944. They were
used primarily for close air support duties. The tasking changed after the D-Day. The squadron moved to the RAF Peterhead Air Base in Scotland to provide the long-range escorts for the Coastal Command combat missions. The Squadron converted to the Mustangs Mk.IV in April
1945 there. The KH655 with code QV-P was probably flown by P/O Edward R. Davies and sported yellow
and black bands around the spinner and nose.
INFO Eduard - May 2021