13./JG 27, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, May 1945
After the Allied landings in Normandy in early June
1944, IV. Gruppe JG 27 moved from Hungary to the
French airfield of Champfleury-la-Perthe and began
their participation in combat on the Western Front.
After suffering heavy losses, the unit went to Lower
Saxony for rest and replenishment. The unit was assigned to the Defense of the Reich structure. The unit
was disbanded on March 31, 1945, and its pilots were
distributed among the other units of JG 27. The white wave marking on the rear fuselage identified this
aircraft as being assigned to the IV. Gruppe, and the
green band to the Defense of the Reich unit JG 27. The
nose carried the unit emblem.
WNr. 130282, Hptm. Franz Wienhusen, CO of IV./JG 4,
Frankfurt/Rhein-Main, Germany, November 1944
Franz Wienhusen joined the Kriegsmarine in 1934, but
just a year later began service with the Luftwaffe.
After training, he was assigned to occupied Norway.
There, he would serve with JG 77 and JG 5. up to October 1944, when he was given command of IV./JG 4.
He died on December 3, 1944 near Aachen, when,
during an attack on an American convoy, he was hit
from the ground. He claimed twelve kills over the
course of WWII. The reconstruction of this aircraft is
based on a listing of losses from December 3, 1944,
where the serial number and fuselage code of Wienhusen's aircraft are recorded. It is very likely that the
aircraft was camouflaged the same way as others
manufactured within an almost 130-aircraft production run at the Messerschmitt factory at Regensburg.