OTU VF-2, NAS Melbourne, USA, October 1944
Naval Air Station Melbourne was established on October 20th, 1942 and the first training course commenced on January 18th, 1943 on F4F Wildcat aircraft. Hellcats started to arrive at the unit as of June 1st, 1943, fully replaced originally operated Wildcats as of October 1st, 1944 and their inventory varied between 75 and 150 machines. During 1944, 546 pilots completed their pilot training at this base, another 916 pilots from January to October 1944.
Hellcats belonging to this unit sported a prominent marking carried on the front part of the engine cowling consisting of stripes or other geometrical shapes.
Cat. No. 644011
Cat. No. 49411
INFO Eduard - February 2019