B.534.208, 36th Fighter Squadron, Air Regiment 2, Olomouc Airfield, Czechoslovakia, Fall 1937
This aircraft is representative of the camouflage scheme used by Avia at the end of the Thirties, prior to the Munich Crisis. Upper surfaces are khaki, lower are silver doped, typically a matted shade. The lower surface of the upper wing is also khaki. The blue and white Moravian eagle identifies the aircraft as belonging to the Air Regiment 2, while the letter G identifies membership within the 36th Squadron, and the numeral 1 specifies the aircraft within the Squadron. The blue tipped spinner was also a squadron identifier, although this was not an official marking. This aircraft is known to have crashed on September 6, 1937, piloted by četař (Sergeant) Julius Zaoral, following a collision with another Avia B.534.35, with svobodník (Private First Class) Jaroslav Šodek at the controls.
B.534.186, 34th Fighter Squadron, Air Regiment 4, Hradec Králové Airfield, Czechoslovakia, Summer 1937
B.534s of the Air Regiment 4 are among the more striking within the pre-war Czechoslovak Air Force. The color details are not known for certain, and this arises from uncertainties regarding the remarking of squadrons at the end of the Thirties. These could have been either blue and yellow or green and yellow. The colors on the wheel spats would be consistent, and so would, likely, the lower prop blade bandaging. This aircraft is known from photographs likely taken during the course of 1937, when attached to 34th Fighter Squadron, which utilized blue and yellow trimming. In January 1938, she was re-designated as belonging to 50th Fighter Squadron, with the fuselage code K. Coded D, she was then attached to 42nd Squadron, which used green and yellow colors. The aircraft has a tail skid instead of a tail wheel. The lower surface of the upper wing is silver doped.
B.534.239, 45th Fighter Squadron, Air Regiment 3, Piešťany Airfield, Czechoslovakia, July 1938
This aircraft carries the standard Czechoslovak camouflage scheme from the late Thirties. The lower surface of the upper wing is in khaki, and the spinner is yellow. The aircraft was documented on a photograph dated July 14, 1938, when it suffered light damage while flown by desátník (corporal) Baláš. At the time, these aircraft carried no squadron codes. The Air Regiment 3 was the only one that was located in Slovakia prior to the outbreak of the war. After the dissolution of Czechoslovakia, Air Regiment 3 aircraft were incorporated into the services of the newly formed Slovak Air Force. In this service, Avia B.534s took part in combat operations in Poland and later in the Soviet Union. In August 1944, the Slovak National Uprising saw the remaining Avias take part in anti-German operations.
B.534.217, Combined Squadron of Slovak National Uprising, Tri Duby Airfield, Slovakia, September 1944
In the fall of 1944, the Slovak National Uprising saw the use of several Avia B.534s. This specific aircraft is the only one photographically documented with the national markings used during the uprising. These were composed of the original Czechoslovak roundels with the addition of the Slovak two-pronged cross. The markings on the right wing are oriented incorrectly with the red field on the right side, i.e. directed away from the fuselage. Also, blue field pointing upwards on the rudder is wrongly oriented. It has not been conclusively determined weather or not the lower wing markings lacked the Slovak crosses. The aircraft carries the typical camouflage scheme of khaki upper surfaces and silver doped lower (gray respray of the lower surfaces for this aircraft is unlikely) and with khaki undersurface of the top wing. The aircraft was noted to have been rather heavily weathered. The tip of the spinner was either khaki or possibly also heavily weathered. Propeller blades were black on both sides. The top of the nose was likely also khaki, and not yellow. All photographic evidence suggests that the sliding portion of the canopy was missing at the time of the Slovak National Uprising.