C/n 96002170, No. 784, Jagdfliegergeschwader 3, Preschen, German Democratic Republic, late 80´
On December 14th, 1954 the 3rd Kommando of the 1st Aeroklub was established in Cottbus; on August 24th
1956, it was renamed to Fliegergeschwader 3. The same year, following the use of training aircraft, Yak-11 and
18, it was equipped with MiG-15s. The first MiG-21s in an F-13 variant went to the first military unit in 1962.
On March 1st, 1971 this unit was bestowed on the honorary name after Russian astronaut, Wladimir Komarow,
who died in 1967 while performing an emergency landing of a spacecraft. In 1988, a scheduled change of the
then used MiG-21MFs for MiG-29s that were substituted by “21s“ took place at two out of three Staffels. The
camouflage of the Eastern German Aircraft No. 784 is formed by two shades of green on the upper surfaces;
the undersides are camouflaged by light blue. Underneath the cockpit there is a so-called Q-mark, a marking
of the aircraft, which was in a diligent care of the ground crew.
INFO Eduard - June 2018