RB273, Fl/ Lt. David Ince, No. 193 Squadron, No. 146 Wing, R.16 Hildesheim, Germany, September 1945
RB273 was delivered to 51 MU, Lichfield on October 12th, 1944 but did not reach its first operational unit until January 1945
when it was allocated to 257 Sqn. After damage and repair in February it was transferred to No. 193 Squadron and flown
by the ‘A’ Flight commander, Flt Lt David Ince, coded DP-E. Having dropped the RAF’s first Napalm weapons in NW Europe
in a brief operational trial in April 1945, Ince went on the demonstrate it’s use number of times in the post-war period,
in ultra-low level attacks. RB273 was retired with the rest of the Typhoon force and was scrapped at 84 GDC
in November 1945.
The aircraft carries a standard RAF camouflage consisting of Dark Green, Ocean Gray and Medium Sea Gray. The cannon
barrel fairings, the inside surfaces of the main landing gear covers and spinner were in scarlet, and only the base of the spinner was in white. Ahead of the windscreen on both sides of the fuselage, the No. 193 Squadron badge was carried. Napalm
bombs were carried under the wings that were modified out of 90 gal drop tanks. Their original Medium Sea Grey colour was
changed to red.
INFO Eduard - July 2018