WNr. 350189, 12./JG 5, Herdla, Norway, Spring 1945
The end of the war found 9. and 12. Staffeln JG 5
stationed at Herdla. While 9. Staffel flew a mix of
Fw 190A-2/3/8s and even the odd Fw 190F-8 used
exclusively in the fighter role, 12. Staffel was equi-
pped with the Fw 190A-8. Fw 190s flown by 12./JG5
carried the standard camouflage scheme consisting
of RLM 74/75/76 and have been photographed on
several occasions carrying the Defence of the Reich
yellow and black band on the rear fuselage. The code
was painted in blue, consistent with the Staffel, as
were the cowl ring and spinner.
Ofhr. Walter Köhne, 3./JG 1, Bad Lippspringe, Germany, May 1944
Shortly after the attack on the Soviet Union, Walter
Köhne was seriously wounded. Following a long period of recuperation, he was assigned to 2./JG 1 on June
4, 1943, at the time based at Deelen, Netherlands.
He flew combat over western Europe up to the end
of the war, achieving a total of thirty kills, the majority of which were B-17 and B-24 heavy bombers.
The standard camouflage scheme of this Fw 190A-8 is
supplemented by Defense of the Reich JG 1 markings;
a 900-mm wide red fuselage band, the JG 1 unit mar-
king and a personal marking in the form of the name
of the dog that was the 3. Staffel mascot.
WNr. 960542, Stab/JG 4, Jüterbog-Damm, Germany, Spring 1945
Stab of JG 4 used the Fw 190D-9 against the Allies
and this Fw 190A-8 was likely a reserve aircraft. It
was built under license by Norddeutsche Dornier in
Wismar and was painted in the standard camouflage
scheme consisting of RLM 74/75/76. The JG 4 aircraft
that were integrated into the Defense of the Reich
system carried a black-white-black fuselage band.
The JG 4 unit marking appeared on the left side
of the cowl.