JF519, No. 1 Squadron SAAF, Trigno, Italy, June 1944
No. 1 Squadron SAAF was established in February 1940 by renaming of the No. 6 Squadron SAAF
armed with Hawker Hurricane and Fury aircraft.
In the mid of the year 1940 the pilots of this unit
joined the fights above North Africa. At the turn
of 1942 and 1943 the squadron received Spitfires
and flew them in the fights under the African sun.
These fights were followed by the use of these
aircraft above Malta and Sicily. At the time of the
armistice the unit operated from Italian air bases.
After WWII, the squadron stayed operational, flying
Spitfires, later Vampires, Sabres and Aermacchi
Impalas. In April 1975, the squadron was rearmed with French Mirages F.1. The squadron was
disbanded on November 25, 1997, at the Hoedspruit
Base. The Mk.VIII Spitfires used by No. 1 Squad-
ron SAAF in Italy were painted in the Day Fighter
Camouflage Scheme. The upper surfaces were
painted in Ocean Grey and Dark Green, the undersides were in Medium Sea Grey color. The wing tips
of Spitfires of this squadron were painted red.