Do 17Z-1, 5./KG 3, Heiligenbeil, Germany, 1939
Kampfgeschwader 3 was formed on May 1st, 1939 in Fürstenwalde in Brandenburg, with her II.Gruppe at the time flying from nearby
Magdeburg. All of the subordinate units were equipped with the Do 17Z, and at the end of May, Stab, II. and III. Gruppe were relocated to
Heiligenbeil, located in East Prussia. Training of crews continued there until the invasion of Poland. Both Gruppe took part in this attack. The
II. Gruppe, with its Do 17Zs, took part not only in the invasion of Poland, but also in the Battle of France and the subsequent Battle of Britain.
The unit converted on to the more modern Ju 88 in the spring of 1941. Do 17Z bombers left the production facility camouflaged on the upper surfaces in RLM 70 and 71, with the lower surfaces sprayed RLM 65. Aircraft of the II. Gruppe carried the unit marking below the cockpit,
a scythe in a white circle. The 5th Staffel marking of a stylized bird carrying a bomb was carried on the engine cowls.
Do 17Z-2, WNr. 1160, 7./KG 3, St. Trond, Belgium, August 1940
The last action to be undertaken during the Battle of Britain by the crew commanded by Fw. Willi Effmert (who was the pilot, bombardier
Uffz. Ritzel, radio operator Uffz. Reinhardt and observer Gefr. Huhn) was an attack on the base at Debden and Hornchurch, planned for
August 26th, 1940. During the raid, this aircraft was shot down by a Defiant from No.264 Squadron, RAF. Only the pilot and the bombardier
survived. The wreck of this aircraft was discovered in 2008, not far from the coast of the County of Kent. It was raised in 2013 and is currently
on display at the RAF museum in Cosford. The unit marking carried under the cockpit of aircraft of the III.Gruppe were playing cards and the
Stab aircraft all the card colours, and aircraft of the 7. Staffel carried clubs.
INFO Eduard - February 2021