SAMPLE FROM BOOK „THE ULTIMATE TEMPEST“ BY CHRISTOPHER THOMAS
Two of No 7 Squadron’s Tempests, PR616 G and
PR723 K, at Palam around the time of Independence but still wearing RAF camouflage and national markings.
were all finished in the new RAF scheme – ‘Aluminium’
paint. Initially marked with Chakra roundels they were
soon being delivered wearing the new Saffron/white/
green roundels adopted by the RIAF in November 1948.
Tempests transferred from RAF stocks initially retained
the RAF camouflage. When identity markings were introduced (see photos) they were applied in white on camouflaged aircraft and black on Aluminium-painted machines.
purchased. These were not refurbished machines but
were mainly ex-BAFO Tempests that had been in store
for a couple of years. The last Tempests were withdrawn
from frontline units by 1954 but continued in second-line
use until 1956; eventually many Tempests were utilised
as airfield decoys. Six of the latter were rescued in 1979
and form the basis for on-going restoration projects.
The stock of Tempests was further increased in July
and August 1951 when 20 more former RAF Tempest were
Seen running up prior to flight at No 322 MU, Chakeri (shortly before handover to the RIAF in October 1947), PR668
E of No 10 Squadron was one of the first to receive the new DFS. Sprayed directly over the original finish the Aluminium paint soon wore away to reveal the camouflage beneath.